turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I correct my deceased spouses information for 2016, if he passed in 2015?

My spouse passed 12/26/2015. I filed my 2015 taxes as married filing jointly. His employer filed a w-2 for 2016 with his remaining December 2015 income that paid in January of 2016. I did not include in my 2016 return because I didn't know about that w-2. Do I amend my 2016 return and how? or Do I file a return for him only as a deceased taxpayer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I correct my deceased spouses information for 2016, if he passed in 2015?

No.  Any 2016 income goes to his Estate, and is reported on a Form 1041 Estate Income Tax return.

IRS Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts, is required if the estate generates more than $600 in annual gross income.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/deceased-taxpayers-filing-the-estate-i...

View solution in original post

10 Replies

No.  Any 2016 income goes to his Estate, and is reported on a Form 1041 Estate Income Tax return.

IRS Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts, is required if the estate generates more than $600 in annual gross income.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/deceased-taxpayers-filing-the-estate-i...

What if there is no estate set up for him. Is this just for tax purposes?

How did you cash his last paycheck?  And what state did he pass in?

it was a direct deposit into our mutual checking account for Colorado

would this be something I could use form 1310 for refunds due a deceased taxpayer?

Not for 2016.

Please see a local estate attorney or CPA. (My own spouse died in 2014, but received income in 2015 that had to be processed through his Estate.)

Thankyou for your help! Its all so complicated

Good luck.

🙂 sorry for your loss as well
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies