turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SirNoodle

I mis-reported my HSA balance in 2015 - now Turbo Tax is calculating tax on my "excess 2016 contributions" which are really prior year (2015) contributions. How do I correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I mis-reported my HSA balance in 2015 - now Turbo Tax is calculating tax on my "excess 2016 contributions" which are really prior year (2015) contributions. How do I correct?

Solved in comments.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I think more info is needed.  What did you contribute for tax year 2015, what did you report, and what are you reporting this year?
SirNoodle

I contributed the maximum allowable for an individual (single) both years.
SirNoodle

I did not report an ending HSA balance for 2015 - a complete oversight on my part.  The entire 2015 balance is now being recorded as excess contributions and taxable.

That doesn't make sense, because year end balance does not go on the tax form.  If you contributed $3350, and turbotax is showing a $3350 excess contribution, there are two other possibilities.  One is that you answered the questions about HDHP health insurance in a way that indicates you are ineligible.  The other possibility is that you double-entered your contributions.  HSA contributions made via payroll deduction are listed on your W-2 in box 12 with code W and turbotax automatically picks them up.  Later in the HSA interview, you should only enter any additional out-of-pocket deposits you made, don't re-enter your payroll contributions.
SirNoodle

I think I found the problem - yes, I entered the contributions twice.  Since the limits were the same for 2015 and 2016, I then thought I was being taxed on 2015.  Thanks for helping me find the issue.

Solved in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies