Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Social Security

I received a lump payment from social security that we received in 2016 for the years of 2013 and 2014. How do I input this information and is there a way to deduct the lawyers fees?
1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

Social Security

You will be able to enter the lump sum Social Security distribution after entering any distributions for 2016.  To enter Social Security income please follow these steps:

  1. Click on Federal Taxes >  Wages & Income.
  2. In the Retirement Plans and Social Security section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)   [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  3. On the next screen, Social Security Benefits, mark the Yes box and click Continue.  [Screenshot #2]
  4. On the screen Tell Us About the Benefits You Received, mark the box for Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099).  [Screenshot #3]
  5. A set of boxes will appear for you to enter the Social Security benefits for you and your wife.  [Screenshot #4]
  6. Click Continue when done.
  7. The next screen will ask if you received any lump-sum payments.  Mark the appropriate button and click Continue [Screenshot #5]

Legal fees to collect taxable Social Security benefits are deductible.  [For example, if only 50% of your benefits are taxable, you can deduct 50% of the legal fees.]  To enter the expenses:

  1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits.
  2. In the Other Deductions and Credits section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Legal Fees.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings