You will be able to enter the lump sum Social Security distribution after entering any distributions for 2016. To enter Social Security income please follow these steps:
- Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income.
- In the Retirement Plans and Social Security section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099) [See Screenshot #1, below.]
- On the next screen, Social Security Benefits, mark the Yes box and click Continue. [Screenshot #2]
- On the screen Tell Us About the Benefits You Received, mark the box for Social Security benefits (Form SSA-1099). [Screenshot #3]
- A set of boxes will appear for you to enter the Social Security benefits for you and your wife. [Screenshot #4]
- Click Continue when done.
- The next screen will ask if you received any lump-sum payments. Mark the appropriate button and click Continue. [Screenshot #5]
Legal fees to collect taxable Social Security benefits are deductible. [For example, if only 50% of your benefits are taxable, you can deduct 50% of the legal fees.] To enter the expenses:
- Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits.
- In the Other Deductions and Credits section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Legal Fees.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"