turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Questions

Why is TT asking me to included the SS amount my husband received in 2017 line 20a on 1040, in my 2018 information.  I just started receiving SS this year and received a lump sum that included an amount for December 2017 of 1139. I don't understand why they ask for this and my taxes due jumped up considerable.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

It is because of the lump sum you received from Social Security. TurboTax is using that information to see if you owe taxes on that income. Your SSA-1099 lump-sum section breaks down the payments into what amount was received for each preceding year. 

If 2018 was the first time you received any type of Social Security payment, then when you are asked about the amount of Social Security that was reported on a prior year tax return, the amount you would enter is 0.  

You might need to pay taxes on a small portion of your lump-sum payment. However, you might be able to avoid these taxes by apportioning prior year benefits to those previous years’ income (still without filing any amended returns).

After you enter your lump-sum Social Security payment information, TurboTax will automatically figure what if any taxes you owe due to the lump-sum payment.

If you have other questions about this, please ask in the comment box below.

Here are the steps to doing this:

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

It is because of the lump sum you received from Social Security. TurboTax is using that information to see if you owe taxes on that income. Your SSA-1099 lump-sum section breaks down the payments into what amount was received for each preceding year. 

If 2018 was the first time you received any type of Social Security payment, then when you are asked about the amount of Social Security that was reported on a prior year tax return, the amount you would enter is 0.  

You might need to pay taxes on a small portion of your lump-sum payment. However, you might be able to avoid these taxes by apportioning prior year benefits to those previous years’ income (still without filing any amended returns).

After you enter your lump-sum Social Security payment information, TurboTax will automatically figure what if any taxes you owe due to the lump-sum payment.

If you have other questions about this, please ask in the comment box below.

Here are the steps to doing this:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies