turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social security disability

I receive SSD. I'm not sure if I need to add it to my taxes. I'm afraid if I don't the IRS will come back at me but how do I add it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If SSDI is your only income, you don't need to file at all, unless your spouse is filing Married Filing Separately. (if you are married, that is)

First, you need your 1099-SA. If you didn't get it yet, check out the link below.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3706/How-can-I-get-a-form-SSA-1099-1042S-Social-...

(Make sure your income is considered SSDI and not SSI- they are different, and the latter is not taxable. In general, Disability is not SSI.... but sometimes the terms are mixed up)

When you get the 1099-SA, go to:

-Federal Taxes, Wages and Income

-scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security income section

-hit Start next to Social Security

-Say "Yes" let's work on Social Security benefits

-enter your 1099-SA (you do need this form)

If you are filing a tax return, you cannot leave off SSDI income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

If SSDI is your only income, you don't need to file at all, unless your spouse is filing Married Filing Separately. (if you are married, that is)

First, you need your 1099-SA. If you didn't get it yet, check out the link below.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3706/How-can-I-get-a-form-SSA-1099-1042S-Social-...

(Make sure your income is considered SSDI and not SSI- they are different, and the latter is not taxable. In general, Disability is not SSI.... but sometimes the terms are mixed up)

When you get the 1099-SA, go to:

-Federal Taxes, Wages and Income

-scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security income section

-hit Start next to Social Security

-Say "Yes" let's work on Social Security benefits

-enter your 1099-SA (you do need this form)

If you are filing a tax return, you cannot leave off SSDI income.

I know I don't need to file, but I like having that lump some at the beginning of the year.

@margebostq You have not asked a question.   Do you have a question?   If your only income is Social Security you are not required to file a tax return--unless you have health insurance from healthcare.gov.   Or....are you having tax withheld from your Social Security benefits?   If no tax is being withheld from your SS benefits, you will not receive an income tax refund at tax time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies