turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbret

My only income this year is going to be $18,000 in social security with about $18,000 in capital losses. Do I need a sep this year and what turbotax do I select?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

My only income this year is going to be $18,000 in social security with about $18,000 in capital losses. Do I need a sep this year and what turbotax do I select?

Since you have no earned income, you don't need the SEP, nor can you contribute. If the only income is the SS, then you don't even have to file. The $18,000 of capital loss will be lowered to the maximum of $3,000 per year. There is really no need to file except to record your cap loss for future years.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Since you have no earned income, you don't need the SEP, nor can you contribute. If the only income is the SS, then you don't even have to file. The $18,000 of capital loss will be lowered to the maximum of $3,000 per year. There is really no need to file except to record your cap loss for future years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies