Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
wisperness

Should my daughter (age 5) qualify under the disabled exemptions if she had an IEP all of 2017 except part way through december when she tested out of the speech therapy

sorry i should have stated better, it's a question on the state return for Utah

There is not any extra tax benefit or deduction to saying that a child under age 13 is disabled on your Federal return.  If you have a disabled child over 12 and need to pay for childcare so you can work, saying the child is disabled can enable you to claim the childcare credit.  Or if the child is 19 or older, you can still claim the disabled child as your dependent.  Otherwise, it does not benefit you to claim that your child is disabled.  Your state tax laws may be different.

Of course, any medical expenses you are paying out of pocket should be entered in Medical Expenses in case you have met the threshold for claiming medical expenses as a deduction.

wisperness

Thank you, sorry I forgot to add in my original post that it's on the state return for Utah when i was doing it

I hope someone familiar with UT sees this and responds--I know zero about UT returns.