james3

Should I pay tax on my income from a 403B income designated for ministerial housing allowance?

I am an active self employed 65 y/o physician; but no longer a missionary. I received at 1099-R for income received since Feb 2018.  The 403B was established to provide retirement income for missionaries. My mission organization made all the contributions to the 403B.  

ScruffyCurmudgeon

SPECIFIC ANSWER TO @ james  SPECIFIC QUESTION:
 - Retired Clergy Pension Benefit Taxable if No longer retain connection to religious organization?

The IRS allows a retired member of clergy, who retains a relationship with her/his church, to exclude a designated Housing Allowance from the proceeds reported on the Form 1099-R you would receive.  There is a long explanatory narrative I wrote some time ago and have kept up to date, and you can find it here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3168030-my-pension-has-been-designated-as-tax-exempt-housing-allow...

However, since it would seem you no longer have a continuing relationship such that the religious organization would offer you the statement of the amount of Housing Allowance to be excluded (required), you may not be eligible for the exclusion.

In any case, whether or not you can reduce the reported taxable income received from the distribution from the §403(b) Savings Plan, the distribution must be reported as Retirement/Pension income.

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time

ScruffyCurmudgeon

USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3