turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ejordan53

Should I pay AL state taxes on Social Security and retirement benefits

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I pay AL state taxes on Social Security and retirement benefits

Because Alabama does tax some retirement programs, you need to manually indicate that your retirement distributions are not taxable.

When you go through the Alabama interview, if you have entered a 1099-R of any sort, your will see a screen entitled "About Your Retirement Distributions" (see first screenshot below).

Click the Edit button to the right of the distribution you want to alter.

This should give you a new screen called "Alabama Special Handling of This Distribution" (see second screenshot).

At the bottom of this screen, if your distribution qualifies to be non-taxable in Alabama, you can answer the question "Is your distribution from one of the pension plan systems that is not taxed by Alabama?" with a "yes".

Then you are returned to the screen with the table of distributions, only this time, you will see that the Alabama income is zero.

Please ignore the red arrow on the second screenshot, it was for another user, but the screen is the same as what you will see.

About your Social Security, because it is entered on a unique form on the federal return, TurboTax knows what it is, and I believe that it will delete that amount automatically from Alabama state income, in case you don't see a place to make an adjustment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies