copshopcomtech

Should I file an amended return for 2016 due to the accidental failure to include Wife's Traditional IRA contribution of $6500 ,or can it be somehow noted with the 2017?

georgesT

You have to file for 2016 amendment to include the 2016 IRA contribution.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

georgesT

copshopcomtech

Answering my own question...though I couldn't find my PDF of the 2016 filing, I had the print of it ,and found that I had included the correct amount for the 2016 IRA contrib. ON the 2016 1040  form!

The appearance of the paperwork from the bank AFTER we filed was confusing,and I hadn't thought to reread the print of the "AS Filed" till just now (panicked because I couldn't find the pdf -but relieved that I had the hard copy ).

Thanks for the quick response ,I have infact  applied this latest  (2017) contribution appropriately  to this new 2017 1040.