• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6miadjore2018

Should I enter social security benefits that are not taxable as I live in Israel. as a negative number?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bine22
Level 7

Should I enter social security benefits that are not taxable as I live in Israel. as a negative number?

Enter 0 in the box for taxable social security income. It's box 20b on form 1040 and 14b on 1040A. You can override that number in the Desktop version of Turbotax. WRite next to it "According to Article 21 Israel/US tax treaty)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
bine22
Level 7

Enter 0 in the box for taxable social security income. It's box 20b on form 1040 and 14b on 1040A. You can override that number in the Desktop version of Turbotax. WRite next to it "According to Article 21 Israel/US tax treaty)

SweetieJean
Level 15

Please keep your related questions in one thread.

Living overseas does not matter when it comes to the taxability of US Soc Security benefits.

bine22
Level 7

SweetieJean, you might want to brush up on your tax treaties
SweetieJean
Level 15

Article 21 of the treaty requires the U.S. citizen receiving the social security payments be a “resident” of Israel.
bine22
Level 7

the OP lives in Israel.
SweetieJean
Level 15

I know, but there is a resident definition in the treaty that he must meet.
bine22
Level 7

and not knowing the answer to that you just say generally, that living overseas doesnt affect the taxability? Since the OP already knows that the social security is not taxable to him/her, I would strongly assume they are an Oleh in Israel, so a resident (or maybe a toshav chozer, also a resident).
SweetieJean
Level 15

Your point is well taken. However, the OP asked several prior questions about Soc Sec, but never mentioned Israel.
SweetieJean
Level 15

As for broad statements, even the IRS says this:
"Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside"
bine22
Level 7

but general statements don't really help answering a specific question. So let's just see if the OP comes back with more info.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v