Solved: Should I enter full or partial RMD for a deceased aunt?

jackieluther

Should I enter full or partial RMD for a deceased aunt?

My aunt passed in 09/2017.  Her RMD for the full year is $18K but she had only drew $14K up to her death (monthly IRA payments).  Question is do I enter that she only received a partial RMD and explain that the remainder was drawn by her beneficiaries?  Or do I indicate that she received all of her RMD for 2017, since she did up until she died and I'm guessing the rest is the responsibility of her beneficiaries?

MaryK1

You will indicate that she did receive the RMD for the year if the beneficiaries took a distribution to meet the RMD requirement before the end of the year.  The RMD for the decedent can be met by the decedent up to the date of death combined with the beneficiaries if received before then end of the calendar year.

IRS Regs 1.401(a)(9)-5

MaryK1

IRS Regs 1.401(a)(9)-5