Solved: Should I enter full or partial RMD for a deceased aunt?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackieluther

Should I enter full or partial RMD for a deceased aunt?

My aunt passed in 09/2017.  Her RMD for the full year is $18K but she had only drew $14K up to her death (monthly IRA payments).  Question is do I enter that she only received a partial RMD and explain that the remainder was drawn by her beneficiaries?  Or do I indicate that she received all of her RMD for 2017, since she did up until she died and I'm guessing the rest is the responsibility of her beneficiaries?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK1
Level 9

You will indicate that she did receive the RMD for the year if the beneficiaries took a distribution to meet the RMD requirement before the end of the year.  The RMD for the decedent can be met by the decedent up to the date of death combined with the beneficiaries if received before then end of the calendar year.

IRS Regs 1.401(a)(9)-5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MaryK1
Level 9

You will indicate that she did receive the RMD for the year if the beneficiaries took a distribution to meet the RMD requirement before the end of the year.  The RMD for the decedent can be met by the decedent up to the date of death combined with the beneficiaries if received before then end of the calendar year.

IRS Regs 1.401(a)(9)-5

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings