billybob59

Should I enter $2,885 Roth IRA Contributions prior to 2017. I withdrew $10,000 from the IRA, original contribution was $12,500 remaining balance $2,885. Is this correct

The $10,000 withdrawal was to pay off a boat. I'm not sure of the amount I need to enter when asked, "Contributions prior to 2017" Is it the remaining $2,885 or the $12,500 I originally deposited?

AnnetteB

It is asking for the $12,500 total that you have contributed to the IRA. 

Since your distribution from the Roth IRA is less than your total contributions, the amount you withdrew will not be taxable.

AnnetteB

macuser_22

The amount that you previously contributed minus anything you have already withdrawn with any previous distribution.