turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rsd12602

Roth IRA withdraw and returning the money

I took $2,600.00 from my Roth IRA in November 2016 for a down payment on a new home. I ended up not buying the home and returned the money to the account January 2017. Do I have to pay a withdraw penalty since it was not used for its intended purpose and I put it back?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

According to the IRS, "If you received a distribution to buy, build, or re­build a first home and the purchase or construc­tion was canceled or delayed, you generally can contribute the amount of the distribution to an IRA within 120 days of the distribution. This contribution is treated as a rollover contribution to the IRA."

However, keep in mind that the penalty exception only applies to first-time home buyers.  If this wasn't your first home purchase, the exemption from the penalty never applied to the withdrawal. 

Generally, you are a first-time home buyer if you had no present interest in a main home during the 2-year period ending on the date of acquisition of the home which the distribution is being used to buy, build, or rebuild. If you are married, your spouse must also meet this no-ownership requirement.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

According to the IRS, "If you received a distribution to buy, build, or re­build a first home and the purchase or construc­tion was canceled or delayed, you generally can contribute the amount of the distribution to an IRA within 120 days of the distribution. This contribution is treated as a rollover contribution to the IRA."

However, keep in mind that the penalty exception only applies to first-time home buyers.  If this wasn't your first home purchase, the exemption from the penalty never applied to the withdrawal. 

Generally, you are a first-time home buyer if you had no present interest in a main home during the 2-year period ending on the date of acquisition of the home which the distribution is being used to buy, build, or rebuild. If you are married, your spouse must also meet this no-ownership requirement.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies