turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sumanthpvr
Returning Member

ROTH IRA => Traditional IRA => ROTH IRA

1. I have contributed to ROTH IRA from Jan 2019 to Jan 2020, the total amount of 6000$
2. On Jan 21st 2020, I came to know that our income limit is too high for Roth IRA
3. On Jan 22nd 2020, I have asked VANGUARD to transfer my ROTH IRA contributions along with earnings for 2019 to traditional IRA as non deductible contributions. The amount was 6798.32$ = 6000$ (contributions) and 798.32$ (earnings)
4. On Jan 23rd 2020, I have asked VANGUARD to convert my newly opened traditional IRA to ROTH IRA so that i can do a back door roth conversion. Total amount was 6793.68$
5. I will only receive 1099R from VANGUARD in 2021 as above steps all happened in 2020. I dont want to amend my 2019 return in 2021. How to capture all the above in my 2019 tax form and what are all the forms I need to fill?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

ROTH IRA => Traditional IRA => ROTH IRA

In order to ensure you don't miss any Reporting, you will need to follow the Steps in the Turbo Tax Help Topic "How do I Enter a Backdoor Roth IRA Conversion."  

Here is a link the article:  Back Door Roth

TurboTax will produce the Form 8606 for you to report the 2019 contribution made in 2020 for your 2019 tax return.  This will produce a  carry forward basis on Line 14 of the 8606.

You will report the 2020 1099R in a similar fashion, reporting it as a 2019 transaction on the 8606.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies