Roth IRA earnings on excess contributions: amend e...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ae7943
Level 2

Roth IRA earnings on excess contributions: amend early?

I withdrew in early 2020 some excess Roth IRA contributions made in and for 2019, and corresponding earnings on this contribution, but I did not include the taxable earnings in my 2019 tax return. So I need to amend this return.

I read elsewhere on this forum that one usually files the amended return when the 1099R is received the following year.

However, since I already know the content of box 1 and 2a for the upcoming 1099R based on what my bank returned (and I confirmed the earnings amount independently using the Worksheet 1-4 formula in Pub. 590-A, so quite confident it is correct), I am wondering if  there is any caveat in filing an amended return now, with code J8 (in TT 2019 amendment software) , and then ignore the 1099R next year. 

Thanks. 

PS: I will also be removing 2017 and 2018 excess contributions later in the year (and file corresponding 5329 forms for the 6% penalty), but as I understand it that should not have any bearing on amending my 2019 tax return.

2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

@ae7943 wrote:

if  there is any caveat in filing an amended return now, with code J8 (in TT 2019 amendment software) , and then ignore the 1099R next year. 

Yes there are.

1) There is no reason to amend before you receive the 1099-R and if the 1099-R is not what you think it will be then you will have to amend again  which is messy.

2) If you amend with a 1099-R code J8 then it would be incorrect and would require amending again.  Code J8 is not for a 2019 return of earnings returned in  2020.  It would probably be a code PJ.  (Code J8 on a 2020 1099-R says it is a 2020 contribution returned in 2020 and cannot go on a 2019 tax return).

3) If you did not specifically instruct the IRA trustee that this was a"return of excess contribution" and not just a normal distribution then the 1099-R might not be coded as  a return of contribution at all.

All in all, I never recommend amending before the actual 1099-R is received - there is no good reason to do so.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
macuser_22
Level 15

@ae7943 wrote:

PS: I will also be removing 2017 and 2018 excess contributions later in the year (and file corresponding 5329 forms for the 6% penalty), but as I understand it that should not have any bearing on amending my 2019 tax return.

Note, if you do not know:

The 6% penalty repeats each tax year that is it in the IRA.

For the 2017 excess there will be a 2017 and 2018 and 2019 6% penalty,

and for the 2018 excess, a 2018 and 2019 6% penalty.

You need to file a 5329 for each year.

There will be no 2020 penalty if both excess are removed before the end of 2020 as a "normal" distribution of the excess only, not the earnings, which can remain because the penalty is paid.   There will be no tax on the distribution since it is your contributions - just the penalties.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings