turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reverse Rollover from Traditional IRA with pre- and post-tax funds

I have a traditional IRA with Vanguard that has both pre-and post-tax funds in it. The pre-tax funds are from an old 401(k) rollover+earnings, and the post-tax funds are from non-deductible traditional IRA contributions.

In preparation for a Roth conversion, I'm hoping to conduct a reverse rollover of all pre-tax contributions+ earnings so that I am just left with my basis/post-tax money in the account.  

I spoke with Vanguard today and they told me that I cannot do a reverse rollover because it is not possible to "separate the coffee from the cream." They told me that if I want to convert to a Roth, I would have to convert both the pre- and post-tax funds, and therefore be subject to the pro-rata rule.

However, I don't think the advice I got from Vanguard is correct... I believe that in IRS Pub 590 A, they call out a special rule which enables pre- and post-tax funds to be separated when doing a reverse rollover. 

Specifically, it says: 

Ordinarily, when you have basis in your IRAs, any distribution is considered to include both nontaxable and taxable amounts. Without a special rule, the nontaxable portion of such a distribution couldn’t be rolled over. However, a special rule treats a distribution you roll over into an eligible retirement plan as including only otherwise taxable amounts if the amount you either leave in your IRAs or don’t roll over is at least equal to your basis. The effect of this special rule is to make the amount in your traditional IRAs that you can roll over to an eligible retirement plan as large as possible.

Am I right, or is Vanguard right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Reverse Rollover from Traditional IRA with pre- and post-tax funds

Whoever you spoke to at Vanguard is misinformed.  You are correct that when doing a rollover from an IRA to a 401(k) the first amounts rolled over are the pre-tax funds because the post-tax funds are not permitted to be rolled over to the 401(k).  26 U.S. Code § 402(c)

However, a plan does not have to accept rollovers at all.  If they do accept rollovers, recent guidance from the IRS says that the plan can rely on the employee's assertion that the rollover includes no post-tax funds.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies