turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lgtyson

Retirement income is not taxable in PA. Why is Turbo Tax Deluxe calculating tax on Retirement income on my PA tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Retirement income is not taxable in PA. Why is Turbo Tax Deluxe calculating tax on Retirement income on my PA tax return?

Retirement in PA: 

During the PA interview, you will be asked what type of retirement plan distribution is represented by each 1099R.  The default setting is taxable.

If box 7 on the 1099R is coded 4 or 7, it is not taxable. Select "I qualify, plan qualify"  or similar choice.  If it coded with an "D" such as 1D or 4D or 7D, it is from a commercial annuity and is taxable same as federal.

If it coded a 1 or 2 it is an early distribution and is taxable to the extent it exceeds your basis in the plan.  Your basis in the plan is the sum of all contributions you made over the years less all previous distributions from the plan. Do not include employer contributions or earnings. You may need to ask the plan administrator for this information.

See: https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1470/~/how-do-i-know-if-the-amount-on-my-109...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies