turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tpvp

Your program has an error preventing submitting the return electronically related to 1099R/4852 substitute forms. Are you correcting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your program has an error preventing submitting the return electronically related to 1099R/4852 substitute forms. Are you correcting?

You don't need to create a substitute 1099-R for your foreign pension.  Delete the substitute 1099-R you have created and enter it as "Other Income."  (Instructions are below.)  The end tax result (in terms of United States tax rate and amount assessed) will be identical to the results you achieved with the substitute 1099-R.

To enter your foreign pension on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "Foreign Pension" the amount you received, and who received it, if necessary

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Why are you preparing a substitute 1099-R?
tpvp

Receiving pension from Norway where tax is deducted and no US Federal ID available. A fault in the software as it should be allowed to submit electronically when checking off that the address is outside US. Do you know how to tell as I assume you are not with them.

I am a TurboTax employee.  The IRS has changed the way they want you to report your foreign pension.  Please see my answer below.
tpvp

I have already submitted the return by mail. Your proposal does not allow deducting taxes.

The IRS says to deduct the foreign tax paid on a 1116 form.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/the-taxation-of-foreign-pension-and-annuity-distributions">https://ww...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
tpvp

So what do you suggest? Revise or see what happens?

If you filed, I would just wait and see.  More than likely you will never hear for the IRS.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
tpvp

Next year I will have a roll over to IRA of another foreign pension. Any suggestions or should I wait?

form 4852

You don't need to create a substitute 1099-R for your foreign pension.  Delete the substitute 1099-R you have created and enter it as "Other Income."  (Instructions are below.)  The end tax result (in terms of United States tax rate and amount assessed) will be identical to the results you achieved with the substitute 1099-R.

To enter your foreign pension on your return, follow the instructions below:

• Choose the Federal return and the Wages & Income tab.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and Show more.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  • Choose Other Reportable Income and say Yes.
  • Even though the screen says "Do not enter income reported on Form 1099-MISC", this is where you will enter the description "Foreign Pension" the amount you received, and who received it, if necessary
lgowings
Returning Member

I cannot file my Federal return due to waiting for a Form 4852.  I do not need the Form 4852.  How can I resolve my problem?

lgowings
Returning Member

The reversal by my investment firm of a portion of my distribution for 2020 resulted in the with drawl appearing on my 1099-R anyway and a form 549 being issued when the withdrawal was returned to the IRA..  I started to do a Form 4852 and then thought better of it and do not want to do it.  Now, TurboTax says it cannot file for me until they get the form 4852.

lgowings
Returning Member

I do not want to issue a Form 4852 correcting my 1099-R.  How do I stop the Form 4852 process so I can file my return.

lgowings
Returning Member

How do I correct?  I want to cancel the Form 4852.  I was trying to fix the problem of a distribution being reversed and resulting in a Form 5498 instead of a reduction in the distribution.

Manage cookies