turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the TurboTax Form asking if I repaid any of my hurricane distribution in 2018 when I did not receive a hurricane distribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
JulieCo

Why is the TurboTax Form asking if I repaid any of my hurricane distribution in 2018 when I did not receive a hurricane distribution?

You can just leave the fields blank if they do not apply to you.  If you have entered information from your 1099-R, everyone that enters information in that section gets asked the hurricane disaster questions because of the special rules allowing for retirement plan participants to access retirement funds to recover.  See more information below:

Congress enacted special tax relief to make it easier for retirement plan participants (including IRA owners) to access their retirement funds to recover from disaster losses incurred while living in certain federally declared disaster areas in 2016 and 2017. This disaster relief may allow affected participants to:

• avoid the 10-percent additional tax on early distributions,
  • include qualified disaster distributions in income over three years,
  • repay distributions within three years,
  • borrow more funds as a plan loan, and
  • repay plan loans over a longer period.

proud_leo_wife
Returning Member

Never mind! I read some other messages and figured it out. If I leave it blank, it doesn't let me move beyond that question. It just keeps going back to asking if I got a hurricane distribution (I checked no).

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.  Please come back here for any other questions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cameek36

I am experiencing the same problem, I leave blank or enter zero but it wont let leave the page.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this Turbo Tax link, It is asking all taxpayers who had pensions because victims of certain disasters in 2017 may be eligible for special tax treatment of IRA and pension distributions. Just say no.

Cameek36

Thanks but doesn’t answer question about why I can’t get off the page once I have entered that information. It just resets this same page again and again.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

First check a previous answer you made have made asking if you Did you take a 2018 Qualified Disaster Distribution? You may have indicated yes and this is why the page is stuck.

Whtiebm

It will not let me get past the hurricane distribution page even though I said no to the questions about it.  It just keeps rotating me through the pagesAnd I can't get off of this section

Whtiebm

OK it seems it was a blip because after trying quite a few times it did let me go to the next screen

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The questions are critical to anyone who has been through a disaster and had to take money from their retirement account to survive. They are given a special 3 year period to pay the taxes on the money.

The program feels repetitive because it has to ask for each of the prior year's that can still be in the 3 year cycle.

No is not an option, if you selected that your retirement income was from a disaster, the program remembers and will tax you for the next 2 years as required. Please review your prior year returns and make sure you did file the full amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies