Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mac82

Why does Turbotax say I owe money on a rollover deposit? I inherited an IRA and deposited to a bene IRA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Why does Turbotax say I owe money on a rollover deposit? I inherited an IRA and deposited to a bene IRA.

What is the code in box 7 of your 1099-R? Can you provide more details?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Also, is the the gross amount of the distribution the entire value of this inherited IRA and box 2b Total distribution is marked or is the gross amount only what would have been an RMD for 2020 if RMDs for 2020 had not been waived by the CARES Act.?

mac82

4 for death. 

mac82

That is the thing. I did the RMD before the Cares Act went in to place. She died 2/2/2020. Part of that distribution was taxable and I did withhold taxes from that portion. 

dmertz
Level 15

If you are a non-spouse beneficiary of this IRA, you were permitted to roll back to the distributing account by August 31, 2020 whatever amount would have been an RMD were it not for RMDs being waived by the CARES Act.  No other IRA distributions were permitted to be rolled over to an inherited IRA.

The online version of TurboTax presently does not yet allow you to report this rollover if you (normally appropriately) mark the box on the Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply page to indicate that the distribution was from an inherited IRA.  The workaround is edit the 1099-R form, unmark the box that you previously marked to indicate that the distribution was from an inherited IRA, proceed through and indicate that you rolled over the distribution, continue to the Your 1099-R Entries page, edit the 1099-R for again and re-mark the box to indicate that this distribution was from an inherited IRA.  This will result in the amount rolled over being excluded from Form 1040 line 4b and the word ROLLOVER being placed next to this line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies