turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Steven-Papier
Returning Member

Where in TurboTax Deluxe 2019 can I find the section to deal with a disallowed 2019 IRA contribution?

In 2019, I made a contribution to my standard IRA. As I began to file my taxes, I realized that I wasn't allowed to make that contribution. I withdrew the funds as well as the appreciation in 2020. Where in TurboTax Deluxe 2019 can I find the section to deal with this situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Where in TurboTax Deluxe 2019 can I find the section to deal with a disallowed 2019 IRA contribution?

In the 2019 return you will only indicate you removed the contribution timely  IF  you even made the contribution entry at all  which was not required. 

On the 2020 return you will report the earnings if there was some to report ... wait for the 1099-R they will send in Jan. 

@Critter-3 wrote:

In the 2019 return you will only indicate you removed the contribution timely  IF  you even made the contribution entry at all  which was not required. 

On the 2020 return you will report the earnings if there was some to report ... wait for the 1099-R they will send in Jan. 

If this was a 2019 contribution removed in 2020 then next January you should receive a 2020 1099-R with a code "P" in box 7 with the returned amount in box 1 and the earnings in box 2a (and the IRA box checked if this was a Traditional IRA).    That must be reported on an amended *2019* tax return because earnings are taxable in the year of the contribution, not the year returned.  There would be nothing to report on the 2020 tax return at all.

As Critter said, the contribution itself should be removed from the IRA contribution interview on the 2019 return as if it was never made which will also remove it from the 1040 form and/or 8606 form if it was not-deductible.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies