Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hddirty

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do I get the State Payer's State No. Its not on the 1099-R

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
AnnaB

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do I get the State Payer's State No. Its not on the 1099-R

You should be able to leave this field blank.  The field is not required for filing your tax return.

If you do encounter errors, the state ID number is usually the same as the Federal Payer's ID number.  You can try to use that figure if you encounter trouble when filing.

However, I would expect leaving the field blank to solve your issue.

Will you tell me the 14 digit Payer's state no. for Missouri that the state of Utah requires.  This is for a 1099-R form that the PUBLIC SCHOOL RETIREMENT SYSTEM OF MISSOURI out of Jefferson City Missouri sent me.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can call the PSRS of Missouri at 1-800-392-6848 to see if they can provide you with that number.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cajunrita

I tried to leave it blank, because not provided on form...Turbo Tax refused to let me file electronically because it was missing. So **bleep** annoying!

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Do you have any state taxes withheld? Only if state tax is withheld in box 12 is it necessary. If nothing in box 12, leave all boxes 12-14 blank -

Cajunrita

Yes, and that’s never been an issue until this year! 😡

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It's not easy to find a particular payer's state ID. An individual payer gets issued a state ID from each state it operates. A convenient way to do it is to enter the payer's EIN instead if a state ID was not provided on the form. That allows the state and IRS to track the payer. Try that and see if it works.

I have spent days trying to figure out why my state return can not be e-filed (Federal went through no issues) because I need to file the 1099-R in Utah. I just figured it out.

The problem may not be with your 1099-R, but with another your overlooking.

Print out your State Tax return and examine the TC-40W just as the Error points to.  (I wish I had thought of that sooner.)

It will show you your W2 and any 1099 series you have paid state taxes on.  Line 2 will show you the State ID that does not have the WTH behind it.

I went back to the 1099-G (Unemployment Benefits ) input the WTH and... Success!!!

Good Lord I hope this helps anyone else out this year or next.  🙂 

What is the Utah State Payer Number

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

The Utah TC W40(1) payer ID must be a 14 character number. The first eleven characters are numeric and the last three are “wth.” Please do not include hyphens.

Example: 12345678901wth.

Utah will NOT accept any other version for the Payer ID. 

For additional information, please see TC-40W, Part 1.

@carleenhaggerty

This is a pain

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies