turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax wants information from line 12A on my 1099-R. There IS no line 12A on my 1099-R. It goes from 10 to 14. Problem with Turbo Tax software - how to alert them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax wants information from line 12A on my 1099-R. There IS no line 12A on my 1099-R. It goes from 10 to 14. Problem with Turbo Tax software - how to alert them?

Could it be 2A?  Box 2A is the taxable amount box on the 1099R that TurboTax will need to calculate your tax.  Please check the 1099R form box 2A and see if it is blank then compare to your hard copy and make any needed changes. 

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

if it really does say 12a...then Two things to check

1) is it a CSA- or CSF-1099-R from Federal OPM ?

or

2) what is the "subject" label on box 14 of your paper 1099-R form ?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
agoodno33

I am having the same issue. I have an amount in box 14. It is saying that the amount in box 12a is wrong. And yes, there is no box 12a. Frustrated... I'm just trying to e-file. 

SamS1
Expert Alumni

I would start by deleting the 1099R and re-entering it manually.

After you have logged in and are in your return in TurboTax Online:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-R in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-R input screens. 
  • There delete the 1099R in question by clicking on the trash can next to the form
  • Then add a new 1099R and manually enter your 1099R.

At the financial services screens, click "Change how I enter my form" then "Type it myself"

If box 16 is blank on your 1099R, enter the box 1 gross distribution amount and see if that works.  If this is a NYS 1099R, that might fix it.

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

rauerhahn

Sam, I'm having the same problem and really don't want to jump thru hoops (i use Turbo tax for it's simplicity). Do you have a way to alert Turbo Tax that this is widespread?  I filed Federal only since it seems that the message pertains to filing NYS electronically. 

Entering NY state taxable amount manually in box 16 (which was originally blank) solved the problem.  Thanks!

rauerhahn

Thank you. I found that I had a partial 1099-R that maybe was a carryover from last year. I deleted that and things worked.  I think I also did what you said on the remaining 1099-R.  Not sure if one or both moves fixed the problem OR the "mandatory" NYS update which loaded before I entered Turbo Tax again. In any case, my refund didn't change so I'm happy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies