turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Level 3

Traditional ira capital gain only

If my only income is from stock sales (1099-B), can I open a traditional ira and contribute to reduce taxes?
2 Replies

Traditional ira capital gain only

You must have some type of taxable compensation to contribute to an IRA.  Investment sale income is not compensation.

Traditional ira capital gain only

No.  You need Earned income from working W2 or a net profit from self employment on schedule C.  

By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies