turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lpbutler

There seems to be a bug in Turbotax's check of form 1099-MISC. My husband died at the end of 2018, this is his final pay sent to me. TT wants me to enter what my job was

My question is has Turbotax checked everything else besides that, so I can ignore its error? Will anyone fix it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

There seems to be a bug in Turbotax's check of form 1099-MISC. My husband died at the end of 2018, this is his final pay sent to me. TT wants me to enter what my job was

If your husband died in 2018, he would not be on your return for 2019. Any income received after his passing would be estate income, not personal income for either of you. This should not be on your return.

You can file an estate return using  Business Software.

I am very sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lpbutler

The 1099-MISC form is reported under my SSN. I initially thought his employer made a mistake, but then I did some research. According to IRS Publication 15, Employer's Tax Guide, what they did was correct.   Our main asset was our house, which we owned jointly with right of survivorship, so there was no estate to settle.  Therefore his final pay was sent to me, and the income reported under my SSN, rather than his.

So I must file it on my return, and Turbotax can't handle it. Surely this situation has come up before? 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Please follow these instructions to correct your 1099-Misc error in TurboTax:

1. While in your Tax Home,
  2. Select Wages & Income,
  3. Select Review/Edit,
  4. Select Edit/Add next to Income from 1099-Misc,
  5. Select Edit next to the 1099-Misc you need to correct,
  6. Select that this 1099-Misc belongs to you.

​​​​​​​

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lpbutler

OK, I just solved it!  Trying to do taxes while running a fever is not a good idea, but in case the worst happens I didn't want to leave my kids with a mess.

The key to making Turbotax happy was to check the option that says there was no intent to make money.  The default is to have it as an intent to make money. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies