Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ldnaples

There is a question about the youngest retirement age if I had not retired on disability. I did not retire on disability. Why is this idea coming from?

This is from my 1099R, box 7 is not checked.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

There is a question about the youngest retirement age if I had not retired on disability. I did not retire on disability. Why is this idea coming from?

What code is in box 7 on your 1099-R?    There must be one.   Sometimes the code is actually a "7" which looks like the box number.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
CV85

I have the same problem. The screen before ask Where is this distribution from? I selected other distribution, not disability.

CV85

No code in box 7. Total Gross Paid (Sum of boxes 4,5 and 6). Mine is from Railroad Form RRB-1099R

Did you choose the RRB 1099-R type?     The form is very different from a `1099-R.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am not that familiar with railroad pensions, but I believe the question is just to determine if it is disability or not.

If you are younger then the minimum retirement age then you would only receive it because of disability.   If you are older than that age then it must be a pension.   The difference is how it is reported on the 1040 tax return.

A regular 1099-R has a special code to indicate disability but a RRB does not, so the only way to know if it is disability or not is if you are getting retirement benefits before retirement age.

CV85

Yes I chose RRB-1099R. Then it ask Where is this distribution from? The choices were Military, Disability and Other distribution. I chose Other distribution and that is when it ask (What was the youngest age I could have retired & received pension from last employer if I hadn't become disabled?) Not disabled, just retired.

CV85

Retired at 62 now 80, it is a pension. This is what Turbotax is asking after I enter info From  the RRB-1099R

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies