turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pam317

Where do i find plan cost at annuity starting date

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The plan cost is often listed in box 9b of the form 1099-R. If the information is not listed there and you are not sure what the number should be,  I recommend that you contact your annuity administrator or look into your old records.  It is beneficial for you to find this, as the plan cost reduces your taxable income on the annuity distribution. 

The plan cost  of your annuity is the amount of your after-tax dollars that you (or plan owner) put into the annuity (your voluntary contributions).

Your annuity start date is the date when you started receiving your first check (your distributions). This information is not listed on 1099-R...if you don't remember and can't find it in your records, the plan administrator should have that information. 

Note:  If your annuity is OPM and you are still unsure, you may contact OPM at 1-888-828-9451 to inquire about your voluntary contributions and start date.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The plan cost is often listed in box 9b of the form 1099-R. If the information is not listed there and you are not sure what the number should be,  I recommend that you contact your annuity administrator or look into your old records.  It is beneficial for you to find this, as the plan cost reduces your taxable income on the annuity distribution. 

The plan cost  of your annuity is the amount of your after-tax dollars that you (or plan owner) put into the annuity (your voluntary contributions).

Your annuity start date is the date when you started receiving your first check (your distributions). This information is not listed on 1099-R...if you don't remember and can't find it in your records, the plan administrator should have that information. 

Note:  If your annuity is OPM and you are still unsure, you may contact OPM at 1-888-828-9451 to inquire about your voluntary contributions and start date.

The number you listed only goes to voicemail and lists other numbers for different situations, and goes to voicemail.  I'm doing my mom's taxes and she has a CSF 1099R where box 9b says "UNKNOWN".  Box 2a also says "UNKNOWN".  How am I supposed to get an answer and complete my mom's taxes?  Shouldn't the OPM know this information since they are the ones that sent her the form?!?!?!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Is this the first year your mother received Civil Service Retirement? If not, her previous tax returns may have a worksheet showing the plan cost and amount previously recovered.

If you can't find any information you can choose to make the entire amount taxable and file an amended return if and when you find the plan cost. You have three years from the due date to file an amended return and receive a refund or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

Here is the contact webpage for OPM Retirement Services.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies