Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Simple IRA employer contributions for LLC minority member spouse, community property state

I have a single-member LLC. I live in a community property state.

My spouse does some minor work for the LLC. If I add him as a minority member (say 2% ownership), what are the rules/limits around Simple IRA contributions for him?

Currently I pull profit distributions monthly into a joint account. The amount varies depending on profit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Simple IRA employer contributions for LLC minority member spouse, community property state

For your spouse to participate in the company SIMPLE IRA he would need to be an employee and receive a salary.   You will also pay employment taxes on the salary paid to him.

As an employee of the LLC, he can contribute up to 100% of his salary (wages) not to exceed $13,000 for 2019 ($16,000 if he is 50 or older). 

The company match is not included in the salary-deferral amount and increases the overall total amount contributed to the plan.  

If he also participates in another salary reduction plan sponsored by an employer, the total contributions he can make to all plans cannot exceed $19,000 ($25,000 if he is 50 or older).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

For your spouse to participate in the company SIMPLE IRA he would need to be an employee and receive a salary.   You will also pay employment taxes on the salary paid to him.

As an employee of the LLC, he can contribute up to 100% of his salary (wages) not to exceed $13,000 for 2019 ($16,000 if he is 50 or older). 

The company match is not included in the salary-deferral amount and increases the overall total amount contributed to the plan.  

If he also participates in another salary reduction plan sponsored by an employer, the total contributions he can make to all plans cannot exceed $19,000 ($25,000 if he is 50 or older).  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK - that's what I suspected. It is not worth the added paperwork to add him as an employee.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies