turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I report Roth IRA contributions on my tax returns? I have not made any withdrawals or transfers. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Should I report Roth IRA contributions on my tax returns? I have not made any withdrawals or transfers. Thank you.

You should enter your Roth IRA contributions into TurboTax so that TurboTax can confirm that you have not made an excess contribution and so that TurboTax can track your contribution basis in case you ever take a nonqualified distribution.

(Just make sure that you don't confuse a designated Roth account in a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k) with a Roth IRA.  Assuming that you are not self-employed, contributions to a designated Roth account in a qualified retirement plan are reported in box 12 of your W-2 and are to be entered only in box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form, nowhere else in TurboTax.)

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

No you do not have to enter your Roth contributions into TurboTax, however it  will help you keep track of your contributions year to year. 

Roth IRA contribution does not actually go on a tax return, but you should enter it anyway to:

1) Tell you if your income qualifies you for a contribution and warn you if it does not.
2) Check if your income exceeds the limit to contribute to a Roth.
3) Track your contribution year-to-year if you use TurboTax every year.

4) Add the Retirement Savers Credit if you qualify.

5) Track of your contributions through the years, and if you overpaid, or had pay back anything, it will keep track of it for you.

To enter Roth IRA contributions in TurboTax:

1. Federal Taxes,
  2. Deductions & Credits,
  3. Retirement & Investments,
  4. Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies