Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retirement

When I retire I am planning to take a partial lump sum of money.  Where is the best place to put it so I do not have to pay taxes until the money is taken out? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Retirement

What do you mean you are taking a “partial lump sum of money” — from where?  Please elaborate. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Retirement

Roll it over to a Traditional IRA that your establish at a bank, brokerage, insurance company, etc.

Retirement

When I retire as of the 1st I will be taking a partial lump sum of money from my employer that they are offering to me.

Retirement

That is still as clear as mud.  Do you mean you will be taking money from a 401k?  Where is the "lump sum" coming from (not just "from my employer")  And what is it a "partial" lump sum of?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Retirement

you need to have your employer's custodian do a trustee-to-trustee transfer of the money to an IRA that you will set up and designate.

Your custodian of this IRA will assist you with the paperwork.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies