turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife took early withdrawal from a retirement account. Upon withdrawal, she was taxed 10%. Why are we being deducted additional taxes upon filing if we already paid 10%

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

My wife took early withdrawal from a retirement account. Upon withdrawal, she was taxed 10%. Why are we being deducted additional taxes upon filing if we already paid 10%

If it was an early withdrawal subject to the penalty, the penalty will be calculated on the return.  

If you already had withholding of 10% or more on the withdrawal, that will be on the 1099-R you received, be sure to enter it when you enter the 1099-R and the withholding will offset the penalty calculation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, thank you. I did use my 1099R when completing the return and the amount on my 1099R (box 4) is exactly 10% of the total withdrawal. Yet when I'm completing by return and entered this information in turbo tax, my refund amount dropped significantly. 

early withdrawal is a costly move. the 10% you see will just cover your penalty (10 %).

You're lucky you have any refund at all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies