turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anametza

My husband cashed out stock and received a 1099R. He paid taxes on it but now when filing, it states we have to pay additional tax. Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

My husband cashed out stock and received a 1099R. He paid taxes on it but now when filing, it states we have to pay additional tax. Why is this?

The taxes collected at the time the payment is made are estimates of what is owed; they do not always cover the full balance.  When you prepare your tax return at the end of the year, you reconcile your taxes owed on all income, not just the income on that single transaction.

The tax balance you owe takes into consideration all of your income, deductions, and taxes paid. 

If the 1099-R distribution was from a retirement account and the distribution was prior to age 59 1/2, the most common withholding mistake is that only the amount necessary to cover the 10% penalty is withheld by the payor, and not the amount also needed to include the income tax.  However, without being able to see the information, I can't say with certainty what may have happened in your specific case.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies