turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ribeye67

It looks like Turbo Tax is applying the early withdrawal penalty to an inherited 401K distribution. Has anyone noticed that?

20% taxes were withheld with the distribution. Box 7 had 4-death entered on the 1099-R. Yet turbo tax went from a refund of ~$9,000 to owing ~$9,000 from a $147,860 401K inheritance from my Wife's brother. It looks like they must be applying the early withdrawal penalty. Is something wrong with the software?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

It looks like Turbo Tax is applying the early withdrawal penalty to an inherited 401K distribution. Has anyone noticed that?

If you want to be sure that this is the case, look at Schedule 2 Line 6 Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, and other tax-favored accounts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you want to be sure that this is the case, look at Schedule 2 Line 6 Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, and other tax-favored accounts.

ribeye67

Thank you, that is helpful. I don't see anything on Schedule 2, Line 6 so I was wrong about the 10% being added.  I guess that means that I paid 20% tax on the $147,860, and I have to pay ~$18,000 (combined state and federal) additional because 20% wasn't enough. The extra income must have really bumped us up into an expensive tax bracket.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies