turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

3codn3r

In the Turbo tax process I was asked only once for the two accounts I rolled over. One account was not an IRA one was. Why not give me the option for both?

Do I owe taxes for rolling over a non-qualified account to another non-qualified account?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

In the Turbo tax process I was asked only once for the two accounts I rolled over. One account was not an IRA one was. Why not give me the option for both?

You would not have to pay tax on a rollover from one type of account to another of the same type.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would not have to pay tax on a rollover from one type of account to another of the same type.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
3codn3r

Thanks for the timely answer to my question. Now, I must talk with fund people.

dmertz
Level 15

Non-qualified accounts are not eligible for rollover.  A non-qualified insurance policy or annuity can be exchanged through a process called a section 1035 exchange, reported with code 6 in box 7 of the Form 1099-R, but otherwise its a taxable distribution and an independent purchase of a new policy or annuity.  TurboTax automatically treats a code 6 Form 1099-R as nontaxable because a code 6 Form 1099-R will always have a zero in box 2a as the taxable amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies