turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

niquie419

If I make a penalty free early withdrawal from my 457 retirement plan and have fed and state taxes withheld upfront, am I obligated to pay further taxes on it when filing my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If I make a penalty free early withdrawal from my 457 retirement plan and have fed and state taxes withheld upfront, am I obligated to pay further taxes on it when filing my taxes?

The actual tax liability attributable to the 457(b) distribution isn't determined until you prepare your federal and state tax returns.  Whatever amount is withheld for taxes is applied as a credit on your tax return.  Depending on your overall taxable income, default tax withholding is often insufficient to cover the entire increase in tax liability.  If your overall tax withholding is insufficient to cover your overall tax liability, you'll have a balance due.  If it's more than enough, you'll get a refund.  Either way, it's not determined until to prepare your tax return taking in all factors that affect your tax liability.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The actual tax liability attributable to the 457(b) distribution isn't determined until you prepare your federal and state tax returns.  Whatever amount is withheld for taxes is applied as a credit on your tax return.  Depending on your overall taxable income, default tax withholding is often insufficient to cover the entire increase in tax liability.  If your overall tax withholding is insufficient to cover your overall tax liability, you'll have a balance due.  If it's more than enough, you'll get a refund.  Either way, it's not determined until to prepare your tax return taking in all factors that affect your tax liability.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies