turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmontan1

Turbo Tax used the wrong amount when figuring how much of my SSA benefits should be taxable. Line 19 of the IRS worksheet should be the smaller of line 17 or line 18.

Line 17 is $22,080.30 and line 18 is $22,715.40. Turbo Tax used $22,715.40, so both my federal and state returns are incorrect. How do I get them to fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo Tax used the wrong amount when figuring how much of my SSA benefits should be taxable. Line 19 of the IRS worksheet should be the smaller of line 17 or line 18.

ok, I've gotten the calculation and you're correct.  Try this:  delete the Social Security benefit on the input.  Go look at your 1040 to ensure that it's out.  To do so:

1.       Go to Tax Tools on the left-hand side.

2.       Go to Tools.

3.       Go to View Tax Summary.

4.       Click Preview my 1040 from the left-hand side.

Then go back and re-input it.  Hopefully that'll straighten it out.

If you're still having that problem, post back to this thread.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

ok, I've gotten the calculation and you're correct.  Try this:  delete the Social Security benefit on the input.  Go look at your 1040 to ensure that it's out.  To do so:

1.       Go to Tax Tools on the left-hand side.

2.       Go to Tools.

3.       Go to View Tax Summary.

4.       Click Preview my 1040 from the left-hand side.

Then go back and re-input it.  Hopefully that'll straighten it out.

If you're still having that problem, post back to this thread.

There is no line 19 on 2018 IRS worksheet.

Line 18 is the smaller of line 16 or line 17 (your total social security benefits).

To check your social security benefit:

1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.

2.  Click Income across the top.

3.  Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security and click Show more.

4.  Click Start or Revisit by Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099).

If this doesn't answer your question, post back to this thread.

rmontan1

I was using the latest worksheet from the IRS for figuring taxes for the year 2018. There are 19 lines. Here is the link.    <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf</a>
AKelly

I am trying to amend my Mom's return with TurboTax online regarding the incorrect calculation of the taxable portion of social security benefits.  I tried what you suggested, but I'm not having any luck doing this in TurboTax -- it is still pulling in the incorrect taxable portion based on using the SS Benefits Worksheet from the IRS.  Am I going to have to file an amendment manually vs. using TurboTax?  THANK YOU!

dmertz
Level 15

AKelly, I don't see how you could be amending with TurboTax online since that option is no longer available.  Perhaps you meant to  say that are using the TurboTax amendment software installed on a PC or Mac for amending a tax return originally filed using TurboTax online.

I'm not aware of any situations where TurboTax miscalculates the taxable amount of Social Security benefits when correct entries are made into TurboTax.  As far as I known TurboTax faithfully implements Worksheet 1 of IRS Pub 915.  Any miscalculation of Social Security benefits by TurboTax generally means an entry error of some portion of income or above the line deductions.

If you are using the downloaded amendment program make sure it is up to date ... that is the only way the program could possibly be incorrect is if you did not run an update.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies