turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took a total IRA distribution of $3358.61 when I left my job at age 66 and paid a $335 and that time. I now have to pay an additional $807. Why is it taxed at 34%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I took a total IRA distribution of $3358.61 when I left my job at age 66 and paid a $335 and that time. I now have to pay an additional $807. Why is it taxed at 34%?

The $335 was only 10%, and the extra income may put you in a higher tax bracket, subjecting it to more taxes (though not that much)...However, as already noted, first make sure you entered that withholding in box 4 of the software's 1099-R form.

BUT

IF you also started getting SS, then the extra income could be making more of your SS subject to taxation...thus, the extra taxes may be partially due to that change too.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

It depends on your income tax bracket and your total taxable income how much tax you have to pay. Your taxable retirement distribution is added to your total taxable income (line 15 of Form 1040)  and then the tax is calculated on the total taxable income.

Please make sure you entered the tax withholdings when you entered your Form 1099-R.

Please see What are the federal tax rates for 2021? for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The $335 was only 10%, and the extra income may put you in a higher tax bracket, subjecting it to more taxes (though not that much)...However, as already noted, first make sure you entered that withholding in box 4 of the software's 1099-R form.

BUT

IF you also started getting SS, then the extra income could be making more of your SS subject to taxation...thus, the extra taxes may be partially due to that change too.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies