turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I think Turbo Tax did not correctly enter the amount from my W-2 into Line 19 on Form 8959 "Medicare tax withheld from Form W-2, box 6." Can I correct this myself?

It appears Turbo Tax took an amount from box 12 with code "N" for "uncollected" Medicare tax.  It seems like an "uncollected" amount should not be reported as withheld.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I think Turbo Tax did not correctly enter the amount from my W-2 into Line 19 on Form 8959 "Medicare tax withheld from Form W-2, box 6." Can I correct this myself?

TurboTax is calculating your Form 8959 line 9 correctly.  According to the instructions for Form 8959, line 19 at this link:

Line 19

Enter the amount of Medicare tax withheld, if any, reported on Form W-2, box 6. If you have more than one Form W-2, add the amounts in box 6 of all your Forms W-2 and enter the total here. If you are filing a joint return, include your spouse’s Medicare tax withheld.

Also include any uncollected Medicare tax on tips from Form W-2, box 12, code B, and any uncollected Medicare tax on the taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (for former employees) from Form W-2, box 12, code N. If you have more than one Form W-2, add the amounts in box 12, codes B and N, of all your Forms W-2 and enter the total here. If you are filing a joint return, also include these amounts, if any, from your spouse's Form(s) W-2. However, don't include any amounts reported on Form W-2, box 12, codes B and N, for uncollected RRTA Medicare tax.

Note.

Both Medicare tax and Additional Medicare Tax withholding are reported together on Form W-2, box 6.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.

You can correct the entries directly in TurboTax.  You want the entries in the software to match your W-2 Forms.

Go to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select "Income & Expenses" 
  2. Select "Job (W-2)" 
  3. Click "Edit/Add" to the right of the Job (W-2) 
  4. Select the W-2 you need to correct and make corrections

Thank  you for the response, but it seems you didn't understand my question.  The entries on my W-2 are correct and do not need to be fixed.  I think Turbo Tax did not correctly enter the amounts from my correct W-2 into Line 19 on Form 8959.  In other words, the amount on Form 8959 line 19 is not correct.  How can I fix the amount on line 19 of Form 8959?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is calculating your Form 8959 line 9 correctly.  According to the instructions for Form 8959, line 19 at this link:

Line 19

Enter the amount of Medicare tax withheld, if any, reported on Form W-2, box 6. If you have more than one Form W-2, add the amounts in box 6 of all your Forms W-2 and enter the total here. If you are filing a joint return, include your spouse’s Medicare tax withheld.

Also include any uncollected Medicare tax on tips from Form W-2, box 12, code B, and any uncollected Medicare tax on the taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000 (for former employees) from Form W-2, box 12, code N. If you have more than one Form W-2, add the amounts in box 12, codes B and N, of all your Forms W-2 and enter the total here. If you are filing a joint return, also include these amounts, if any, from your spouse's Form(s) W-2. However, don't include any amounts reported on Form W-2, box 12, codes B and N, for uncollected RRTA Medicare tax.

Note.

Both Medicare tax and Additional Medicare Tax withholding are reported together on Form W-2, box 6.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies