turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold put in option and bought to close later. In 1099-B, in Box-1b it doesn't allow me to enter the later date (1c). How can I proceed ?

For example:
Box 1b: 12/21/2020
Box 1c: 12/17/2020
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I sold put in option and bought to close later. In 1099-B, in Box-1b it doesn't allow me to enter the later date (1c). How can I proceed ?

Lets say you sold to open a put on 12/17 with proceeds of $100, and then bought to close that put on 12/21 for $50.  You would report it as:

Your Acquisition date is 12/17, Sold Date is 12/21, your proceeds are $100, and your cost is $50.  In this scenario you have a gain for $50.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In this case if my 1099 form was written the opposite way, should I contact them to correct it? 

From Pub 550.

"If you enter into a closing transaction by paying an amount equal to the value of the put or call at the time of the payment, the difference between the amount you pay and the amount you receive for the put or call is a short-term capital gain or loss."

In order to close a short you must go to the market and acquire some securities, in this case, some options.

The acquired date is the date you closed the short sale.
For Stocks, the disposed date is two business days later (settlement).
Options settle in one day.

Note to those for whom it is not obvious: Date Acquired and Date Disposed refer to Columns (b) and (c) on Form 8949 that you will report to the IRS.
Your trade date is the date you closed the position and goes in (b). Settlement date must be calculated taking into account weekends and market holidays.
From this you can see that a short is always a short term capital gain or loss, no matter how long you are short.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies