turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rolled traditional IRA into a Roth. TT says this is an excess contribution. Did I answer a question wrong in this program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

I rolled traditional IRA into a Roth. TT says this is an excess contribution. Did I answer a question wrong in this program?

Yes, it sounds like you have entered IRA contributions that should not have been entered as such. The amount you rolled over is not an IRA contribution.

The only IRA contributions that you should enter in as an IRA contributions, are amounts you contributed outside of work. You should not include rollovers, conversions or recharacterizations.

To review what you entered:

1. Use the search box to search for IRA contributions.
  2. Click on Jump to IRA contributions.
  3. Check the type of accounts you have, click Continue.
  4. On the screen that says, Tell Us How Much You Contributed at the top, enter only the contributions you made directly to your IRA with after tax money into your IRA account. 

Keep going through the section, if you have made an excess contribution, you will get a screen that says, Your IRA Contribution Isn't Permitted and it will have an explanation of why it is not permitted.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

The rollover is reported only by entering the Form 1099-R reporting the distribution from the traditional IRA, answering the immediate follow-up questions, then clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and answering the additional questions that follow.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies