turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rolled over all of my 401k in 2021 to my new employer's retirement plan. The software is taxing $5,000 of it, though. How do I remove that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I rolled over all of my 401k in 2021 to my new employer's retirement plan. The software is taxing $5,000 of it, though. How do I remove that?

After entering the Form1099-R there was a screen asking you what you did with the money.  You should have selected the option for moving it to another retirement account so it will be entered on your Form 1040 Line 5 as a Roll-over.

Go back to the Form 1099-R section and edit the 1099-R you entered and continue until you land on that screen.

Thank you for the response.  I did indicate that it was a rollover (G) and that none of it was taxable.  I rolled over $103K+ and it's showing up as a rollover on page 1 of the 1040 but it's also listing $5,000 of it as taxable.  I did not enter $5,000 anywhere, so I'm guessing it's a software glitch.  It seems pretty late in the season for the software to be doing this as it likely impacts many others.  I can't file the return with an extra $5K in taxable income that shouldn't be there.  Hopefully, they fix this soon!

I figured it out - the $5K is from a COVID-19 withdrawal I made in 2020 that's spread over three years.  I had forgotten about that.

@kgoldencpa-yahoo wrote:

I figured it out - the $5K is from a COVID-19 withdrawal I made in 2020 that's spread over three years.  I had forgotten about that.

Great...Glad that problem is solved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies