turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hoffyd

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I retired and am living on cash. I am not withdrawing any investments It looks like I should be eligible for the EITC, but I'm not. How do I not "claim" it on TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I retired and am living on cash. I am not withdrawing any investments It looks like I should be eligible for the EITC, but I'm not. How do I not "claim" it on TurboTax?

The first thing to do is to make sure you qualify for it. If you find that you do, go over your entries carefully. Some of the questions might be confusing. Lastly, you might have had your EIC disallowed in the past and need to file a Form 8862  8862

To qualify for and claim the Earned Income Credit you must:

• Have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year; and
  • Have a valid Social Security number (not an ITIN) for yourself, your spouse (if filing jointly), and any qualifying children on your return; and
  • Not have investment income exceeding $3,600; and
  • Not be filing a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ; and
  • File a return with the Single, Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widower filing status, even if you're not required to file a return.

In addition, both your earned income and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $15,570 if you're not claiming a qualifying child ($21,370 if filing jointly);

One more thing – if you're not claiming a qualifying child:

You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or after January 1, 1955; and

You (or your jointly filing spouse) must have been born on or before December 31, 1994; and

You (and your jointly filing spouse) cannot be claimed as a qualifying child or dependent on anyone else's return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

are you working?  if not, you are not eligible for EIC. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies