Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I retired 12/2019 and want to estimate my 2020 income tax to avoid any big surprises. Is there a way to do that? My only income is social security and my pension.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I retired 12/2019 and want to estimate my 2020 income tax to avoid any big surprises. Is there a way to do that? My only income is social security and my pension.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

States that tax Social Security benefits:

CO, CT, KS, MN, MO, MT, NB, NM, ND, RI, UT, VT, WV

These states offer varying degrees of income exemptions, but four mirror the federal tax schedule: MN, ND,VT, and WV

States that do not have state income tax and/or do not tax retirement income:

AK, FL, IL, MS, NV, NH, PA, SD, TN, TX, WA, WY

States that may tax retirement income from IRA's, pensions, etc.:

AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, GA, HI, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OK, OR, RI, SC, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV,

This is a “general” list.  Some of these states have complicated laws that exclude certain types of retirement income, or provide certain income exclusions and age deductions.  This list does NOT refer to Social Security benefits.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you’ very helpful!

I use 2019 software to estimate my 2020 tax - I know what to expect, no surprises.

At this late  point in the year, you should watch for the CD/Download 2020 version and get it as soon as it is available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies