turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099-G and the five options under "What Type of Payment Did You Receive?" do not apply to the 1099-G I received. How do I file this?

I received a 1099-G for a State Income Tax Refund for 2018 and 2019 in the mail for 2020 tax year. How do I apply?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received a 1099-G and the five options under "What Type of Payment Did You Receive?" do not apply to the 1099-G I received. How do I file this?

To enter a state or local tax refund (Form 1099-G) -

- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
- Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
- Scroll down to Other Common Income
- On Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns, click the start or update button

Or enter state refunds in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to state refunds

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Use the following steps to go to the section of TurboTax to enter the information from the Form 1099-G:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “state and local tax refund” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to state and local tax refund
  • Click on the blue “Jump to state and local tax refund” link 

Then, be sure to check the box saying you received a "state or local tax refund even if not reported on 1099-G" to move forward.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  This is exactly what I needed!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies