Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkbuttery

I posted a total distribution from a pension plan that is showing up on Turbo Tax as a lump sum payment from Social Security. How can I correct that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I posted a total distribution from a pension plan that is showing up on Turbo Tax as a lump sum payment from Social Security. How can I correct that?

Delete it from the social security section and add it to the 1099-R section.  Unfortunately, you can't just move it.  There are a few follow-up questions that you will need to answer for your pension disbursements.  

Where do I enter my 1099-R?     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jkbuttery

well, I did enter it into the 1099-R section and not SS.  TurboTax switched it to SS income and treated it as a lump sum payment from a prior year.  

And, of course, you can't actually talk to someone without paying the upcharge.  

@jkbuttery wrote:

well, I did enter it into the 1099-R section and not SS.  TurboTax switched it to SS income and treated it as a lump sum payment from a prior year.  

And, of course, you can't actually talk to someone without paying the upcharge.  

No, that is not possible.  The software cannot enter anything in the SS section.  Only the user of the software can enter SS income in the SS section.

Go back to the SS section and remove the income.  Then go to the Retirement Plans section and enter your 1099-R.

To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

jkbuttery

I never entered that amount into the SS section.  I entered it as a 1099 - R   When I went to "Federal Review" this appears:

Check This Entry
Earlier Year Lump-Sum Social Security Ws (2018): Line B; SSA and RRB amounts for taxpayer from earlier year or Line B; SSA and RRB amounts for spouse from earlier year should have a value.

Earlier yr SS benefits TP  _______

Form 1040
Earlier Year Lump-Sum
Line 5
Social Security Worksheet

Enter the earlier year

A
Lump-sum payment received in 2019 for the earlier year
B
If there were also social security benefits received in the earlier year,
enter the amount received in that year (Form 1040 line 20a or Form
1040A line 14a for years 2005-2017. Form 1040 Line 5a for 2018
and after. See Help for other years). 

When I Scroll down an "Earlier Year Lump-Sum Social Security Worksheet" , even though I have never recieved a lump-sum payment

@jkbuttery wrote:

I never entered that amount into the SS section.  I entered it as a 1099 - R   When I went to "Federal Review" this appears:

Check This Entry
Earlier Year Lump-Sum Social Security Ws (2018): Line B; SSA and RRB amounts for taxpayer from earlier year or Line B; SSA and RRB amounts for spouse from earlier year should have a value.

Earlier yr SS benefits TP  _______

Form 1040
Earlier Year Lump-Sum
Line 5
Social Security Worksheet

Enter the earlier year

A
Lump-sum payment received in 2019 for the earlier year
B
If there were also social security benefits received in the earlier year,
enter the amount received in that year (Form 1040 line 20a or Form
1040A line 14a for years 2005-2017. Form 1040 Line 5a for 2018
and after. See Help for other years). 

When I Scroll down an "Earlier Year Lump-Sum Social Security Worksheet" , even though I have never recieved a lump-sum payment

Then there must be something that transferred from the 2018 tax return incorrectly.  The program cannot enter an income amount without either a user entry or an import of the tax data.

In this case I would recommend that you clear the tax return and start over -

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2019 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies