turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I overfunded my 401K in 2022. I received a return of excess. I do not have a 1099-R form for the return. Do submit anything in 2022 or do I wait until 2023 to submit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

I overfunded my 401K in 2022. I received a return of excess. I do not have a 1099-R form for the return. Do submit anything in 2022 or do I wait until 2023 to submit?

Report excess salary deferrals (excess 401k contributions) returned to you after the end of the tax year but by April 15th of the following tax year on your 1040 as Wages.  Do not create your own 1099-R for this situation.

Pages 10 and 11 of IRS Pub 525 under Excess deferrals (the IRS term for 401K contribution is deferral) tells us

If your deferrals exceed the limit, you must notify your plan by the date required by the plan. If the plan permits, the excess amount will be distributed to you. If you participate in more than one plan, you can have the excess paid out of any of the plans that permit these distributions. You must notify each plan by the date required by that plan of the amount to be paid from that particular plan. The plan must then pay you the amount of the excess, along with any income earned on that amount, by April 15 of the following year. You must include the excess deferral in your income for the year of the deferral. File Form 1040 or 1040-SR to add the excess deferral amount to your wages on line 1a.

What you earned will be covered by a 1099-R for the following tax year and will be entered then as a normal 1099-R.

Below is how to do this in TurboTax:

1. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income
  2. Continue and locate the section Less Common Income
  3. Select Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  4. Select Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099 and click on Start
  5. Answer the question "Did you receive any other wages?  Yes
  6. Click through the questions till you get to Any Other Earned Income
  7. Answer Yes to Did you earn any other wages?
  8. Indicate Other as Source of Other Earned Income and click Continue
  9. For the description enter "2022 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on Done

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Report excess salary deferrals (excess 401k contributions) returned to you after the end of the tax year but by April 15th of the following tax year on your 1040 as Wages.  Do not create your own 1099-R for this situation.

Pages 10 and 11 of IRS Pub 525 under Excess deferrals (the IRS term for 401K contribution is deferral) tells us

If your deferrals exceed the limit, you must notify your plan by the date required by the plan. If the plan permits, the excess amount will be distributed to you. If you participate in more than one plan, you can have the excess paid out of any of the plans that permit these distributions. You must notify each plan by the date required by that plan of the amount to be paid from that particular plan. The plan must then pay you the amount of the excess, along with any income earned on that amount, by April 15 of the following year. You must include the excess deferral in your income for the year of the deferral. File Form 1040 or 1040-SR to add the excess deferral amount to your wages on line 1a.

What you earned will be covered by a 1099-R for the following tax year and will be entered then as a normal 1099-R.

Below is how to do this in TurboTax:

1. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income
  2. Continue and locate the section Less Common Income
  3. Select Miscellaneous Income and click Start
  4. Select Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099 and click on Start
  5. Answer the question "Did you receive any other wages?  Yes
  6. Click through the questions till you get to Any Other Earned Income
  7. Answer Yes to Did you earn any other wages?
  8. Indicate Other as Source of Other Earned Income and click Continue
  9. For the description enter "2022 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on Done

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies