Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need a copy of my latest tax return to start receiving my retirement.I have not filed taxes for over 15 years,n I have not worked for over 20.How do I file? Non filer?

I don't file taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I need a copy of my latest tax return to start receiving my retirement.I have not filed taxes for over 15 years,n I have not worked for over 20.How do I file? Non filer?

Since you have not filed any tax returns there is no copies of tax returns to receive.

You can get a Verification of Non-filing Letter from the IRS using the IRS transcript website - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

• Verification of Non-filing Letter - provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040-series tax return for the year you requested. It doesn't indicate whether you were required to file a return for that year. This letter is available after June 15 for the current tax year or anytime for the prior three tax years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T. You must use Form 4506-T if you need a letter for tax years older than the prior three years.

No one keeps returns older than 7 years so you are out of luck.   The SS administration will have your work history ... log in and get it here :   https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/?gclid=CjwKCAiAqJn9BRB0EiwAJ1SztZJNkMGthQ819EHV0Z6Q9xNb2KAqgI39jRiwllB...

File a non filer return by 11/21 here only :  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

if you worked for a corporation of any fair size, your pension checks will start flowing to you when you reach the age of eligibility.

If it is a smaller company, you'll have to tell them your pension payment does not require a tax return from you.

Get an attorney and have the attorney write a letter to your company.

If you worked long enough at a company to be vested in the retirement plan, then getting your  pension should simply be based on reaching retirement age---not providing them with tax returns.  Are you sure they really asked for that?  It sounds like there might be some sort of misunderstanding.  Or else we are missing some information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Mazurkiewiczdick In your other thread you mentioned that you have been receiving Social Security.  If your ONLY income during these past years since you left the employer has been Social Security then you were not required to file a tax return.

Your other thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/i-should-have-started-receiving-my-pension-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies