turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made an over contribution to my Roth IRA, but already paid all my penalties and claimed it on my last years taxes. It is telling me I need to amend 2019 taxes, Why??

I made over contributions but when filing my 2019 taxes, I paid all the penalties, and nothing in my income changed (or was incorrect). Now in 2020 (yes my income has changed, so I made the correct adjustments) when filing my 2020 taxes, and adding my 2020 Roth IRA contributions, I am being told I need to amend 2019 taxes? I don't see how this is correct. Can someone advise on why this might be? Or if something is just being imputed incorrectly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I made an over contribution to my Roth IRA, but already paid all my penalties and claimed it on my last years taxes. It is telling me I need to amend 2019 taxes, Why??

Did  you have the excess returned and have a 1099-R with a code JP in box 7?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22 Thanks for your reply! I am not sure what you mean by having the access returned? But, yes, I did receive a 1099-R form with that code in box 7.

@colie-bops wrote:

@macuser_22 Thanks for your reply! I am not sure what you mean by having the access returned? But, yes, I did receive a 1099-R form with that code in box 7.

delete.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Did you take the EXCESS (over contribution) back out of the account?

@colie-bops wrote:

Oh - yiu said "that code".  That *IS* a return of contribution.   If there is an amount in box 2a then that is the taxable earnings that were returned.  Box 1 it the total amount removed.  The earnings are taxable in the tax year that the contribution was for - 2019, therefore you must amend 2019 to report it.

I don't know what you mean that you "paid the penalty", because a timely return of contribution (which the code JP 1099.R says you did) does not have any penalty, only the tax on the earnings as reported on the 1099-R box 2a.    (f box 2a is blank then there are no earnings so nothing need to be done at all.)

@macuser_22  Oh, I see! This is starting to make sense now. Yes, I took the money out, but had obviously earned "earnings" on that over contribution I had put in, and that is what I am being taxed on, and then therefore need to report on my 2019 tax return. Ah, yes, so I neglected to figure the amount of earnings from the amount I took out, which is why I am being asked to amend. 

@colie-bops wrote:

@macuser_22  Oh, I see! This is starting to make sense now. Yes, I took the money out, but had obviously earned "earnings" on that over contribution I had put in, and that is what I am being taxed on, and then therefore need to report on my 2019 tax return. Ah, yes, so I neglected to figure the amount of earnings from the amount I took out, which is why I am being asked to amend. 

That is correct, but what "penalty" did you pay since the 1099-R box 2a earnings are the ONLY thing that must be reported.

@macuser_22 I think I must have misspoke about the penalty for 2019. I had adjust for 2018, and that was the penalty fine, I had stuck in my head. Thank you for your response!! Super helpful! I honestly wasn't sure if I would get a response on here or not, so it was very much appreciated!!! 🙂 

Glad I could help.

When you amend 2019 and enter the 1099-R with code JP, don't worry if it says "taxable in 2018. it will ask which year the 1099-R is for, 2029 or 2020. choose 2020 and then it is taxable in 2019 and not 2018.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies