turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paw27-oz

I'm being asked Tell us about the benefits you received. They want info from SSA-1099. My social security benefits have always been SSD. I have never received a SSA-1099.

Now what do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm being asked Tell us about the benefits you received. They want info from SSA-1099. My social security benefits have always been SSD. I have never received a SSA-1099.

Do you get SSDI Social Security Disability OR ssi Supplemental Security Income?  You have to get the SSA-1099 for SSDI.  You can go online to get a copy.  You do not report ssi at all.  

Define what you mean by SSD.  That is not a correct abbreviation for any type of benefit.

Do you mean SSDI which stands for Social Security Disability Income?  Or do you mean SSI?

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.
However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies